Freddy K's YouTube & other videos, as well as posts on various topics of interest. Still THE spot for thick AND rich content!

Monday, May 23, 2011

Propwash Takes To The Cloud

Had a nice video Skype chat with Billy Bishop yesterday. Bill informed me that he's working at putting his Propwash Blog in the Cloud where it will be accessible even after he is gone. Sounds great! Again Bill has wonderful ideas for keeping 400 Squadron alive in cyberspace (along with Downsview). He asked for my feedback on upcoming aspects. Also the re-issue of my old "On Guard" series of stories, with the thought that they could be done as a "video book". While I'm of the mindset lately to go forward rather than back, I do have the time now & the prospect of doing it geared towards the generation that doesn't read - either as audio or video, is an interesting challenge.

I said to Bill that rewrites would be required. Given that On Guard was based on events from about 30 years ago, written 10 years ago - it could offend people's sensibilities today. To which Bill replied that a great part of the allure of the stories was my style and I shouln't change a word for the sake of political correctness or potential complaints. Well thank you Bill. It's wonderful to have a supportive Editor!

When the articles first ran, I did have one complaint accompanied by the threat to sue. I worked with the complainant on a suitable rewrite of that segment and all was well. Indeed, during the 8 years of my unofficial 400 Squadron website, the Squadron never complained or interfered with my content. In fact, the powers that be in the form of Warrant Officer Fisher appreciated my site as a means to get the word out about reunions and for finding lost alumni. Being Canada's oldest Air Force unit, there have many members over the years. And unlike Harper banning potential hecklers from his rallies, the Squadron isn't afraid of some heckling (anyone who ever attended a Christmas Dinner will remember the abuse that the CO and Officers took for tradition & morale)!

No the Airforce community was largely appreciative of my work. I can't always say the same for websites I did for cigars or old car clubs, who criticized but couln't contribute.

I look forward to continuing this effort with Bill. "Per Ardua Ad Astra".
-Freddy K

2 comments:

  1. Just to confirm Fred,and other interested parties, the complete on guard series will be posted at PropWash in the not too distant future. (estimate by the end of June). And, they will be UNCUT and UNABRIDGED (unless of course you wish to do some editing ... after all they are yours). I feel they will be of interest to present and future readers.
    Final thought on this subject ... those who complain are but a "pimple on the path to progress" ... and we all know what to do with pimples.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Am adding some new text & pics to the package, as we speak. Can't wait for the launch of the new 400 website!

    ReplyDelete

Followers